Columbia University Journalists Cover Harlem Protest

“We are fed up,” said Laurent Delly, a Harlem resident and active community member. “Something needs to be done because enough is enough. I can not keep walking down my street and seeing people shooting up left and right.”

Columbia University journalism student Lucy Keller covered community members who protested on October 8th that only 24 percent of patients in Harlem opioid treatment programs are Harlem residents. The other 76 percent of patients travel to Harlem from other parts of the city because many New York City zip codes have no available opioid treatment programs.

“The issue is not that there are clinics,” said Ali Diini, a Democratic candidate running for State Senate District 30 in Harlem. “The issue is that they are clustered here in Harlem.”

The article “Harlem Residents Protest to Demand Action For Safer Streets” can be read in its entirety here:

https://medium.com/columbiajourn/harlem-residents-protest-to-demand-action-for-safer-streets-4c41df6327a3

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.