GHC and other organizations have sent multiple letters to our elected officials and city/state/federal agencies to ask for a reduction in the oversaturation of substance use programs in Harlem and East Harlem.
In 2008, Community Board 10 (Central Harlem) issued a moratorium on new drug treatment clinics in the neighborhood. Community Board 11 (East Harlem) issued a similar moratorium, as well as a district, needs statement detailing the quality of life issues associated with these facilities.
Sadly, little progress has been made to address the systemic packing of substance use programs in Harlem and East Harlem. For example, our elected officials have been unable to deter Mount Sinai from setting up yet another clinic on West 124th Street that will treat teenagers and adults suffering from mental health issues and substance use issues (for more info see letters from Inez Dickins and Brian Benjamin ) and in early December 2021, the government announced without community inputs that the Nation’s first safe injection site will be set up in Harlem (see this page for more info).
Below are a list of some of our letters and subsequent responses:
|Department of Education Chancellor Porter||2021 Letter|
|NYC Racial Justice Commission||2021 Letter|
|Harlem United||2020 Letter to Harlem United|
|NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene||2020 Letter|
|Community Board 11||2020 Letter|
|NYS Department of Health||2021 Letter CC|
ELECTED OFFICIALS CONTACT INFORMATION
- City Councilman Bill Perkins: phone: 212-788-7397 email: D09perkins@council.nyc.gov, twitter:billperkins
- Manhattan Borough President Gale A. Brewer: phone: 212-669-8300, email:email@example.com, twitter: galeabrewer
- Manhattan Community Board 11 Chair, email:firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mayor Bill de Blasio: phone: 212-788-3000 twitter: NYCMayorsOffice
- NYC Comptroller Scott Stringer: phone: 212-669-3916, email: email@example.com,twitter: ScottMStringer
- Congressman Adriano Espaillat: phone: 212-663-3900; Twitter @RepEspaillat, email:Espaillat.house.gov
- Assemblywoman Inez Dickens: DickensI@nyassembly.gov
- NYC Public Advocate Jumaane Williams: phone: 212-669-7200; email:GetHelp@publicadvocate.nyc.gov
- Manhattan CB 10 Chair Cicely Harris: email: firstname.lastname@example.org and District ManagerShatic Mitchell email: email@example.com, Twitter: @Mancb10; FB: Manhattan BoardTen
Additional contact information: